Michael Weaver, MD, of Virginia Commonwealth University recently announced the year’s “top 10” addiction-related articles of the medical field at the American Society of Addiction Medicine 43rd annual Medical-Scientific Conference.
Researchers who chose the top 10 articles made their selection from more than 1,600 pieces all published from 2011 to 2012, and chose based on not only the piece’s quality, but also how each represented the different areas of medicine.
Weaver told Medscape Medical News that while there are a top 10, there is not a single No. 1 important article as there is a range of articles from across the spectrum.
“There are several practical applications,” Weaver says. “One article introduces a short screening tool for problem gambling that can be used specifically in a population that would already be in treatment for addiction problems. Another article introduces a scale to measure severity of withdrawal from marijuana. Yet another article reviews the effectiveness of different medications for insomnia in patients in early recovery from alcohol dependence.”
The 10 article in no particular order include the following:
- Five-year trajectories of long-term benzodiazepine use by adolescents: patient, provider, and medication factors. Yeh HH, Chen CY, Fang SY, Chang IS, Wu EC, Lin KM. Psychiatr Serv. 2011.
- Exploring the emergence of alcohol use disorder symptoms in the two years after onset of drinking: findings from the National Surveys on Drug Use and Health. McBride O, Cheng HG. Addiction. 2011.
- A quick and simple screening method for pathological and problem gamblers in addiction programs and practices. Volberg RA, Munck IM, Petry NM. Am J Addict. 2011.
- Collaborative care of opioid-addicted patients in primary care using buprenorphine: five-year experience. Alford DP, LaBelle CT, Kretsch N, et al. Arch Intern Med. 2011.
- Pharmacological treatment of insomnia in alcohol recovery: a systematic review. Kolla BP, Mansukhani MP, Schneekloth T. Alcohol. 2011.
- Association between opioid prescribing patterns and opioid overdose-related deaths. Bohnert AS, Valenstein M, Bair MJ, et al. JAMA. 2011.
- The Cannabis Withdrawal Scale development: patterns and predictors of cannabis withdrawal and distress. Allsop DJ, Norberg MM, Copeland J, Fu S, Budney AJ. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011.
- Placebo-controlled trial of cytisine for smoking cessation. West R, Zatonski W, Cedzynska M, et al. N Engl J Med. 2011.
- Topiramate for the treatment of methamphetamine addiction: a multi-center placebo-controlled trial. Elkashef A, Kahn R, Yu E, et al. Addiction. Published online Dec. 16, 2011.
- Molecular mechanism for a gateway drug: epigenetic changes initiated by nicotine prime gene expression by cocaine. Levine A, Huang Y, Drisaldi B, et al. Sci Transl Med. 2011.