People in recovery must be especially careful when it comes to certain products. Many products, such as over-the-counter medications or every day cooking items may contain alcohol or other ingredients that could endanger sobriety by triggering a relapse. Some topical health and beauty products could even set off an alcohol detection device.
If you’re looking for some alternative products that are free of alcohol, here’s the place.
Below are some alcohol-free products currently on the market. But remember: always ask questions, and use a certain amount of caution in using any kind of medication. If in doubt about a specific medication, contact your doctor/addictionologist or another knowledgeable person for guidance. And remember, manufacturers change product ingredients and brand names frequently. Always check product labeling for definitive information on specific ingredients.
1. Listerine ZERO mouthwash – This mouthwash is a completely alcohol-free formula, yet still kills bad breath germs. Normal Listerine regular mouthwash is 25 percent alcohol, or 50 proof.
2. Alka Seltzer Plus Day Cold and Alka Seltzer Plus Night Cold
3. Ivory soap – Ivory soap is hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and alcohol-free.
4. Father John’s Medicine Plus Drops – These drops are for the temporary relief of coughs. They are a non-narcotic medicine that help with the relief of coughs, colds and allergy symptoms.
5. Robitussin Cough & Congestion Liquid Robitussin Cough & Cold NightimeClick here and check out the cold and allergy section for more.
6. Sea Breeze Foaming Face Wash Gel
7. Alcohol-free baking extracts – Baking extracts, such as vanilla extract, contain alcohol. But there are baking alternatives. Click here for alcohol-free extract alternatives from CooksVanilla.com, such as extracts and flavors like pure vanilla, almond, hazelnut and sweet dough, all without alcohol.
8. Cepacol Sore Throat Spray – Alcohol-free and sugar-free, this spray instantly numbs pain and protects against throat irritation and inflammation.
9. Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein – The Eternity by Calvin Klein brand has several alcohol-free products, such as deodorant. POLO SPORT for Men also carries an alcohol-free deodorant.
For an entire list of alcohol-free, over the counter medicines, printed from The Talbott Recovery Campus, click here.