The REEL Recovery Film Festival — showcasing filmmakers who make honest films about addiction, alcoholism, behavioral disorders, treatment and living sober — will kick off its national four-city tour in New York City Sept. 28, 2012.
The festival is a seven-day celebration of film, the arts, writing, creativity and recovery, says Leonard Buschel, founder of the Los Angeles-based nonprofit, Writers in Treatment, which is producing the event.
“The film festival isn’t just for addicts and their loved ones who have been impacted by the disease of addiction,” explains Bob Forrest, television personality and Hollywood Recovery Services co-founder. “It provides a fascinating window into an underrepresented, challenging slice of life, in a safe and entertaining environment.”
Slated for screening are a diverse lineup of contemporary and classic films, documentaries and shorts from first-time filmmakers and industry veterans.
Special guests include the following:
- New York Timesjournalist and author, David Carr
- Veteran director, Robert Downey Sr.
- Actor, artist and author, Joe Pantoliano
- Musician and television personality, and the star of Bob and the Monster, Bob Forrest
- Laurie Dhue, president of Laurie Dhue Media
- International addiction expert, author, philosopher/physician, Dr. Gabor Maté
- Celebrated former Boston Celtic, Chris Herren
- Jazz great David Sanborn
- Kevin Hanlon, director of this year’s hit documentary Bill W.
- Lipstick and Liquor director, Lori Butterfield
“Writers in Treatment provides scholarships for treatment and free referral services. We also produce awareness and prevention programs that help reduce the stigma of addiction,” says Buschel, the organization’s founder. “After three years in Los Angeles, we are excited to bring the festival to the East Coast, which will enable us to reach new audiences and raise funds to help more individuals in need of our support.”
Click here for ticket and location information.
The NYC REEL Recovery Film Festival was made possible with support from Hazelden, New Directions for Women, Caron Treatment Centers, The Refuge-A Healing Place, Phoenix House, The Bella Vita (Los Angeles), A-fordable Billing Solution and ARG-Therapia (Utah).
The festival will launch in Vancouver, British Columbia, Oct. 19 to 20; Los Angeles from Oct. 25 to 30; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Nov. 2 to 5.