Posted April 19, 2012
The 16thannual PRISM Awards kicked off Thursday evening in Beverly Hills, Calif., and honors those who have accurately depicted alcohol, tobacco and drug use and addiction, as well as mental health issues in film, television, music and comic book entertainment.
The Entertainment Industries Council, Inc., in collaboration with FX Network, News Corporation and others are presenting the ceremony, which will air in on FX Network in September, National Recovery Month.
“The annual PRISM Awards are a cornerstone in EIC’s efforts to promote awareness of health and social issues, honoring individuals in the entertainment industry who utilize their creative brilliance to simultaneously entertain, engage and inform audiences,” Brian Dyak, president and CEO of the Entertainment Industries Council (EIC), Inc., previously told RenewEveryDay.com.
“When you recognize that one accurate story can reach millions of people and empower them to take control of their health, PRISM strengthens the recovery community and supports their efforts to encourage positive decision making through the art of making a difference.”
Some of the winners of the evening include the following:
- Warrior for Feature Film: Substance Use
- William H. Macy, Shameless, for Performance in a Comedy Series
- TNT’s Southland for a Drama Series Substance Use Multi-Episode Storyline
- NBC’s Parenthood for a Drama Series Episode on Substance Abuse
- Caterina Scorsone, Private Practice, for Female Drama Performance in a Multi-Episode Drama Series
- Fox’s GLEE for Comedy Series Episode: Mental Health
- Days of Our Lives for Daytime Drama Storyline
Chris Rene for Music Performed on the X-Factor
E: 60 “Scott Hall: The Wrestler” for Documentary, News Magazine or Biographical Program: Mental Health
Current’s “Vanguard: Sex, Lies and Cigarettes” for Documentary, News Magazine or Biographical Program: Substance Use
“In The Mix – Youth Against Meth” for Teen/Children’s Program
Craig T. Nelson, NBC’s Parenthood, for Male Drama Performance
Click here for a photo gallery of the evening.