A family mourns the death of a homeless alcoholic man, who expressed in his last conversation that his biggest fear was to become homeless.
David Ross Slaughter, 53, died of asphyxia by drowning and acute alcohol intoxication not far from a homeless camp off the Grand River in Missiouri.
"I never knew he was there," Carrie Ann Myers said of her brother in an interview with MLive. "I'm shocked."
Myers said that like so many families, hers tried to help her younger brother with his drinking problem. But alcohol took over his life, she said in the interview.
"He was a good man. He had good qualities about him. He didn’t want to be like that," she said.